Filipinos in the United Arab Emirates managed to raise some Dh7,500 (about P83,580) at a charity brunch for the victims of Typhoon Pablo.
“Brunch for a Cause” was a project initiated by the Filipino Community (FilCom) in Dubai and the Northern Emirates, according to a report on Khaleej Times on Sunday.
FilCom Governing Council president Matilyn Bagunu said the council will meet new Philippine Consul General Frank Cimafranca to decide how to send the funds raised to the Philippines, the report said.
Bagunu said they can send it to the Philippine Red Cross or to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, or to the Philippine National Police via FilCom member group Sangguniang Masang Pilipino International Inc (SMPII).
A third option would be to turn over the proceeds to the SMPII so its officials and members in the affected areas could distribute the money directly to the surviving families.
"But, we need to coordinate with the Philippine Consulate-General,” she said.
Meanwhile, the new Task Force Habagat is now collecting donations for disaster relief, including clothes, canned goods, and blankets.
Task Force Habagat chairman and United Cebuanos president Wendell Castro said they expect at least 30 boxes of in-kind donations initially from the Filipino community in the UAE.
Typhoon Pablo left more than 500 dead and caused some P6 billion in damage when it devastated parts of Mindanao, Visayas and Southern Luzon last week. — BM, GMA News