Proud PINOY does not claims any credit for any articles, news and/or photos posted here. All visual content is copyright to its respectful owners. All info's are not accurate and may contains errors. If you are the owner to any photos or articles, and does not want us to post it here, please contact us by e-mail

Friday, July 6, 2012

Pinoy animator finds success in Canada


TORONTO - Set to work on DreamWorks animated feature film “Joseph”, Andy Gutierez left the Philippines for Canada in 1998.
An extended contract found him riding the peak of 2D animation, but it was cut short because of the transition in the cartoon industry.
 
“I was locked with a company who hired me from the Philippines. I was forced to look for other jobs but they're not related to animation because the thing was, most of my co workers, they have money to like go to school, right away to learn 3D, cause 3D was like starting during that time,” said Gutierrez.
 
He found himself working at a labor intensive automotive company. But luck was on his side, for it was during this time when his talent was remembered by an old employer who offered to pay for his 3D animation course.
 
“Since I kinda know the basics and everything, it wasnt really hard for me. He asked me if I can work on TV show called 'Handy Manny'. I started doing 3D for almost a year,” he said.
 
Since then, Guiterrez has worked on Canadian cartoons like Max and Ruby, Wibbly Pig and Spliced. He became a Disney animator for “Goof Troop” and other shows.
 
His fondest memories lie in classical animation like the one he did for “Princess and the Frog” and the friendships formed in his many years animating back in the Philippines.
 
“I know a lot of animators and artists in the Philippines and they're pretty good. I see lots of good works here, but I see lots of good work from there too,” he added.
 
Despite his success, he believes Filipino talents shine in the field of animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment