Maybe you just got dumped, haven’t had sex in longer than you’d like to admit or are just really horny. Whatever the reason, a one-night stand could be the cure. However, if you’re new to sex with strangers, you might be a little leery. Before you hit the clubs on the prowl, check out these pros and cons to make sure the experience is really what you want.
Let’s start with the pros of a one-night stand. The benefits of a tryst with a sexy stranger can include:
- Mind-blowing Sex – One-night stands are often the result of body shots and beer buckets, which can lower shyness and increase experimentation. You’re never going to see him again, so go ahead and try that pretzel-twist or fake British accent if that’s what gets you going.
- Ego Boost – Feeling like you’ve lost your mojo? Making eyes from across the room and closing the deal with ease can make you feel like the world’s sexiest woman.
- Feeling Liberated – Been shackled to the missionary position and polite kissing with boring dudes? Use this as a way to break out of the mold of the “good girl” and enjoy sex like a man.
- “No really, baby, I did it for you.” – A recent study published in the Journal of Human Sexuality showed that friends with benefits, one-night stands and booty calls can actually help people make better decisions when they finally decide to enter long-term relationships.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases – You don’t know this person very well and therefore are in the dark about his or her sexual health and history. You may also be inebriated, which can cause you to do things, like have sex without protection, that you normally would not.
- You Could Become Depressed – Making one-night stands a regular thing could mean you're seeking something you can’t get from regular relationships. Beware of these interactions if you start feeling used or guilty.
- Becoming Attached – Sorry, ladies, but some of us have a hard time separating sex and emotions. If the thought of a guy sneaking out in the night or not taking you to brunch after you’ve spent the night doing the nasty makes you upset, you should skip the one-night stand.
Got the good and bad and you’re still ready to go? When trolling for a one-time night of passion, you can put these tactics to the test to get what you are looking for.
- Put yourself in the right situation – Places like weddings, holiday parties, dance clubs and hotels are breeding grounds for one-night stands. People are in high spirits, drinking and ready to have a good time.
- Look Like You’re Having Fun – No one is going to hit on you if you look like your dog just died. Get out on the dance floor, tell jokes, do a shot –show guys that up for anything and looking to have fun.
- Protect Yourself – Keep an eye on your drink, and if you leave with a guy, let your friends know where you are going and when you expect to be back. Pop a few condoms in your clutch – nothing makes a temporary experience more permanent than a baby or disease.
- Play it Cool – Even if you are new to one-night stands, don’t tell your potential hookup, and don’t expect a relationship. By keeping your expectations in check you can prevent possible disappointment.
- Be Mysterious – The point of this exercise is to be anonymous and fleeting. Don’t even use your real name if you can help it, and refrain from contacting him on social media post-coitus.
- Don’t Feel Guilty – Society has programmed women to feel bad about exploring and embracing their sexuality. You won’t feel sexy or be able to enjoy the experience if you’re worried about looking like a “slut” the whole time.
- Stick with a Stranger – Hooking up with a friend, coworker or a relative of a friend can cause awkwardness in the light of day. Keeping it strictly-stranger can help you avoid problems and embarrassing run-ins.
In the end, you should do what you feel comfortable with and not feel pressured. If you find yourself in a situation that scares you or makes you feel uncomfortable, get out of there. Just because you started something with a guy doesn’t mean you have to finish it. On the other hand, it can be a great exercise in pushing your personal boundaries and creating new life experiences to do something out of the ordinary and challenge yourself.
By thinking through the options beforehand you can ensure that you are making the right decision – even if you feel bad about it later, don’t beat yourself up for too long. After all, you will never see that person again and you don’t even need to tell your friends about the one-night stand if you don’t want to. Keeping it to yourself can be a great little secret that adds to your mystery and relationship wisdom.