Malacañang on Saturday welcomed the report of the Department of Tourism that tourist arrivals in the Philippines passed the two-million mark in the first half of 2012.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said this would mean livelihood for Filipinos not only in hotels and resorts but in other industries as well.
“For every tourist that arrives, meron po tayong mga kababayang nagkakaroon ng livelihood,” she said on government-run dzRB radio.
DOT Secretary Ramon Jimenez Jr. was earlier quoted as saying the country welcomed 2,143,506 tourists from January to June 2012, 11.68 percent higher than last year’s 1,919,400.
Valte noted more tourists from South Korea, United States, Japan, China and Taiwan.
She said the information from the DOT was encouraging, as it means the government may be on track to realizing its yearend target of 4.6 million tourist arrivals.
“May ibang nagsasabi ambitious ang target ... Nainiwala tayong kaya natin ang target na yan (Many have said our targets are ambitious. But we believe we can achieve that target),” she said. — ELR, GMA News